Advanced passive safety system protecting the driver and passengers.
How does it work?
Every Toyota features a comprehensive array of SRS airbags. Increasingly available are dual stage airbags designed to deploy in one of two stages dependent on the severity of the collision. Even more advanced multi stage airbags are being introduced that deploy in an ultra low mode if the driver’s seat is positioned close to the steering wheel.
Side airbags are mounted in the front seatbacks, rather than the door itself, to provide optimum protection for the front seat passenger regardless of the seat position. Side curtain airbags deploy in the event of a severe side impact to provide additional protection and stay inflated for longer to protect against multiple head impacts.
A driver’s knee airbag has been added to some models; in the event of a front-end collision, this airbag helps to protect the driver from injury against the steering column, minimising the risk of foot and leg injuries.
- Front and knee airbags deploy in severe frontal impact
- Side and side curtain airbags deploy in severe side impact incidents
- For any other impacts, the airbags will not deploy
- Three point seatbelts, largely with force limiters and pretensioners, are fitted and should always be worn despite the presence of the airbags
The seven airbags include:
- Driver’s knee airbag
- SRS airbags for both driver and passenger
- Side airbags for the front seats
- SRS curtain shield airbags covering both the front and rear seat passengers
Read more about Toyota's safety rating results on the Euro NCAP website.